Wednesday 12 September 2018

Meditation with bow tie, waist coat, shoes on and eyes open!


This post is debrief of the last competition and record of a few learning and observations for future reference.

I played the South Pacific National Ranking Snooker Tournament at Club Marconi over the last weekend 8, 9 September.  I have been practicing on the Shender table over the last month and have been cueing well.  So there were self-expectations to perform better in this competition. Also, first tournament after settling in Canberra and traveling to Sydney for the competition. 



Saturday morning 9 am was my first match.  I was fully focused and relaxed.  There were almost zero distractions to the extent I did not even know or bother to know who plays in the next table.  I did not often realize who my opponent is during the match play time of 1+ hours.  I insulated myself so much from anything outside the 4 cushions of the snooker table.   Consequently, I was playing so very well, cueing smooth and straight, and making regular breaks of 20s and 30s.  I did not show any loose balls to my opponent at all, playing excellent safety shots.  I took every chance given and punished the opponent with clinical precision in every given opportunity.  Final result was 3-0 in my favour!  Match got over by 10.15 am I reckon.  Do not under estimate the opponent though.  In fact he was cueing very well, had I played my ‘B’ game he would have taken me.

Next match was at 1.30 pm, meaning there was more than 3 hours of break.  In this idle time, the mind wandered and jumped on many different things like a monkey.  So many different thoughts, feelings and emotions that jumps around, comes in, vanishes and took me for a ride.  Consequently, when I started at 1.30 pm, I was not 100% mentally present in the table.  Mind was so laid back without focus and the hunger for attacking and the thirst for winning simply was not there.  This is the problem with the laid back mind as against the 'Switched ON' mind.  A laid back mind is relaxed and unfocused whereas a switched on mind is relaxed but focused at the same time.  Because of this laid back mind,

1.       I was looking around who plays on which table. 
2.       I was looking at my opponent, his body language, cue action etc. and thoughts were around that.
3.       ……

Ultimately, I was not switched ON, not tuned to the need of the moment.

Consequently, I went down 3-1 to this average player compared to whom I played in the morning !

Moral of the story are:

1.       Physical game/ technical game happens easy and natural once the mind stays within the periphery of the table throughout the match.

2.       Meaning, all that I have to do is to Switch ON myself once am in the table.  All the practice done will take over by itself and deliver the required goods.  Which still means, there is no alternate to rigorous practice sessions.  

In other words, for me, the success in the tournament majorly depends on my ability to Switch ON and Switch OFF myself as per my will.  This has to be trained during the training sessions as it cannot happen suddenly during the competition!

I should work on this one mental skill set i.e. to be able to switch ON myself as and when required and be there for hours together.  This switch that I am yet to figure out should be 100% under my control. 

Switch ON meaning – all your faculties are fully alert and focussed ONLY on the balls and within the table.  Faculties meaning mind, body, emotions and energies. 

In a way, what I am after is nothing but being in a meditative state during the tournament matches.  Thus justifying the blogpost title J.

1 comment:

  1. Nice one Bro. A lot of take away's for me from this :)

    ReplyDelete